Years ago, when my father was using our home as a stopping place between his home and the hospital where he was taking treatments, the patients had a picnic and he asked me to make potato salad for it. I made mashed potato salad 'just like mom makes' without thinking much about it, but the next Monday, he returned with a request for a written recipe for it!
That kind of threw me into a quandary because I'd never even seen a recipe written for it. I sat down and tried to remember how, what and when to put it together, and this is what came of it.
It needs to be made ahead of time, so it's perfect for tomorrow's cookout or to make for planned leftovers.
* Make a batch of mashed potatoes just as if you were serving them for dinner. (It's more frugal to plan leftover mashed potatoes, because it won't take extra fuel to cook them.) Make sure they're cool before starting the salad.
* For each couple of cups of potatoes, chop a quarter of a cup or so, depending on your tastes, of each the following:
1. Dill or sweet pickles
3. boiled egg
4. sharp cheddar or other sharp flavored cheese
* Add enough mayonnaise or salad dressing to make the salad creamy and smooth.
* Refrigerate overnight, or several hours, covered.
Serve cold, with a big spoon!